Parents and Players Code of Conduct
Irrespective of the activity, it is difficult to continue when lacking confidence. There is nothing more disconcerting than receiving putdowns or negative remarks. Research shows that when a person experiences a positive interaction and is often praised for their efforts, they are more than likely to continue with the activity. In fact, with regular positive feedback, students demonstrate an eagerness to please every time and often exceed their own expectations. It also helps build a rapport between the participant and the teacher, in which one often sees the student give just that extra bit to help them excel.
We at SealPony Football believe that all players and parents have the right to a safe and positive experience during their participation with us. It is for this reason that we have implemented the following Code of Conduct.
We hope that you too share our philosophy and work along with us to ensure that all participants, young and old experience a positive and safe environment.
Thank you, from the SealPony Team.
Parents & Coaches
- Participation is for the children’s enjoyment, not yours.
- Encourage kids to participate, rather than force them.
- All kids deserve equal attention and opportunities.
- Emphasis the child’s efforts and performance (irrespective of skill) rather than winning or losing. Do not ridicule or yell at children for making a mistake or not winning.
- A child’s greatest role model is you the parent. Behave in the way you would like your child to behave.
- Refrain from verbal and physical abuse at all times.
- Display control, respect and professionalism to all involved within the sport. This includes opponents, coaches, officials, parents and other spectators. Encourage players to do the same.
- Ensure that drugs, tobacco and alcohol and kept away from children at sporting events.
- Always respect the officials’ decisions and teach children to do likewise.
- Regardless of their gender, ability, cultural background or religion, all participants are treated equally.
- Encourage parent participation as much as possible as this is a great way to foster lasting and fond memories between you and your child. In fact, nothing excites kids more than their parents watching them. So don’t be shy, get out there and have fun.
- Any physical contact with a child should be appropriate to the situation and necessary for the player’s skill development or medical care.
- Follow and play by the rules.
- Never argue with the coach or referee. If you disagree, have your parent positively approach the sports official.
- No name calling or teasing. We play football for fun and not to tease others.
- Control your temper at all times. Verbal abuse and swearing at officals or other players, deliberately distracting or provoking an opponent will not be tolerated.
- Work hard for yourself and your team.
- Be a good sport. Applaud all play whether on your team or on your opponents/competitors.
- Even if a player attempts to kick the ball, and misses, never ridicule them. Instead praise them for their effort and encourage them to keep on trying. Remember that even great athletes missed numerous times before making that one shot that counts.
- Treat all participants in your sport as you like to be treated. Cooperate with your coach, team-mates and opponents. Participate for your own enjoyment and benefit, not just to please parents, coaches and teachers.
- Respect the rights of all participants regardless of their gender, ability, cultural background or religion.
- If the ball rolls out onto road, never run after it. Get a parent or coach to get it for you.
- Do not hang off the nets or trees as you may fall down and hurt yourself.
- Wear shin pads every week to protect your legs.
- Make sure that all rubbish is thrown in the bin.
- No tackling or pushing during any play.
- If you are caught teasing or acting inappropriate you will get a yellow card. The yellow card will be your first warning. Your second warning will be result in a red card. If you get a red card, then you will sit out the entire game.